In case the pupil is a strong writer, using the ACT Writing test is most likely a no-brainer, but people who have a problem with composing projects at school are hesitant to just just just take this optional element of the exam. Enough time restriction for the ACT section that is writing also be intimidating for some pupils. Our message is simple: Don’t sweat it!
If for example the pupil is happy to do some work in advance, they can optimize their rating from the ACT composing part on test time.
This can be a lowdown in the ACT Writing area:
- Your pupil may have thirty minutes to see, plan, and compose a response up to a prompt about a concern strongly related a high college student’s life that is daily.
- Encourages can include problems which range from debates over college uniforms towards the drinking age that is legal. Each prompt will instruct your student to “take a position” on a single of two displayed views. Instead, they can create a position that is entirely new help. Remind your student that the ACT Writing prompt are going to be strongly related senior school students, therefore there’s you should not fret over planning responses for certain subjects in advance. Search through this helpful directory of ACT composing prompts available on a higher school’s internet site.
- The trained readers who score the essay are searching for the essay to be convincing, thoughtfully arranged, and completely developed; your pupil has to be in a position to choose a situation and right right right back up their or supporting examples to her argument. In addition, it is necessary that the pupil target and refute the counterargument within the ACT essay.
- There clearly was no “right” or “wrong” place on the subject; more crucial may be the student’s ability to understand the prompt and craft a response that maintains a clear and well-reasoned position— utilizing particular evidence and appropriate writing mechanics.
Just Just How Else Can Your Pupil Get Ready For the ACT Writing Prompt?
Reviewing Viable Topics
To be able to familiarize you aided by the forms of conditions that are generally addressed in ACT Writing prompts, listed here are five prompt examples:
- The Children’s Web Protection Act (CIPA) calls for all college libraries getting particular funds that are federal install and use blocking software to stop pupils from viewing product considered “harmful to minors.” But, some studies conclude that blocking software in schools damages opportunities that are educational pupils, both by blocking usage of website pages which are straight pertaining to the state-mandated curriculums and also by limiting broader inquiries of both pupils and instructors. In your view, www.essay-911.com if the schools block use of specific Web the web sites? (supply: The Princeton Review’s Cracking the ACT, 2008)
- Numerous communities are thinking about adopting curfews for senior school pupils. Some educators and parents prefer curfews simply because they think it will probably encourage pupils to concentrate more about their research and work out them more accountable. Other people feel curfews are as much as families, perhaps maybe maybe not the city, and that students need freedom to work and participate in social activities in order to mature properly today. You think that communities should impose curfews on senior school pupils? (supply: The Princeton Review’s breaking the ACT, 2008)
- As a result to articles examining topics that are sensitive as dating and partying, numerous schools are thinking about censoring their papers. Some schools think that these subjects aren’t suitable for student-run papers, while some think that, as long as what exactly is printed does work, student documents need the exact same freedoms as regular newspapers do. What exactly is your viewpoint with this subject? (supply: The Princeton Review’s breaking the ACT, 2008)
- Most schools have established honor codes or any other rules to avoid pupils from cheating on exams as well as other college projects. Numerous pupils admit to cheating, arguing that the training happens to be therefore common—and can be so seldom penalized—that this is the only method to endure in today’s competitive scholastic globe. Educators, but, believe that such actions just hurt the students, and that cheating in school is simply the step that is first more educational dishonesty, expert misconduct, and unethical company techniques as time goes on. In your view, should high schools become more tolerant of cheating? (supply: The Princeton Review’s breaking the ACT, 2005)
- In certain high schools, pupils have to finish a specific wide range of community solution hours ahead of graduation. Some individuals think community service is a requirement that is good they believe pupils will gain using this experience. Other individuals think schools must not need community solution because students will resent the necessity and, as a total outcome, will likely not gain benefit from the experience. In your viewpoint, should high schools require students to accomplish a specific amount of hours of community solution? (Supply: The True ACT Prep Guide, 2005)
Since there is not a way of once you understand just exactly just what essay subject is supposed to be presented on test day, remind your son or daughter that each and every concern will determine an issue and provide two feasible points of view to simply help kick-start the process.
Training in a Test-Like Environment
Among the best techniques to assist your student get ready for the ACT Writing prompt is always to produce a test-like environment in which to apply. Set a timer for half an hour and hold your pupil to your right time period limit. Other pupils is going to be within the space on test day, therefore exercising alone in a peaceful destination may possibly not be the simplest way to simulate the test-day experience. a cafe could have music, noisy conferences happening, and chatty patrons—more sound than an ACT screening location might have. a compromise that is good be to own your pupil compose the essay in a collection where there are many interruptions, although not many. By practicing in a simulated environment that is test-like your pupil should feel more at simplicity on test time.
Understanding ACT Essay Scoring Recommendations
Composing training ACT essays is not the only method to prepare. Encourage your student to check out types of scored ACT essays also. This post that is helpful GoodLuckACT.com programs six sample that is different written in response to your exact exact same prompt—and provides the thinking for every score. Learning just just what elements get into a well-written essay can assist your student incorporate those factors on test time. ACTstudent.org has comparable examples to assist you learn how to earn the perfect rating in the ACT test that is writing. You may even desire to examine the ACT Essay Scoring that is official Rubric.
By becoming acquainted with the standard wording and content of ACT composing prompts, simulating a test-like environment, and finding out how to approach the ACT Writing prompt to make a high score, your son or daughter will feel more willing to overcome the ACT test that is writing.
For information about how ACT writing prompts are scored, check our sample out graded essays with responses. If you should be in search of one-on-one test prep help, remember that A+ offers personalized ACT preparation programs and free proctored training tests which will help your student get ready for all parts of the ACT, such as the ACT composing part.
Also, these pages has samples of ACT and SAT essays compiled by our pupils, plus the responses they received from our expert essay that is online. All essays are graded based on the university Board and ACT essay rubrics.